Over the past week, our amygdalas (the fear centers of our brain) have been in overdrive.
As Coronavirus (and anxiety) spread, I’m concerned by the level of pandemic fear circulating through our news and social media.
The goal of this blog is to give you a thoughtful alternative to fear… to contextualize what you are hearing…
Let’s talk about death rates… While this is no apples-to-apples comparison, how we react to death is primal. And when we hear about Coronavirus-induced deaths, we go on red alert. But allow me to contextualize the numbers for you.
(Disclaimer: The below compared populations are different (China vs. world), and infectious diseases do not maintain a consistent daily average. But the point still stands…)
On one of the worst days for Coronavirus in China (February 10, 2020), 108 people died. But on a given day, globally:
- 26,283 people die of cancer;
- 49,041 people die of cardiovascular diseases;
- 4,383 people die of diabetes.
Meanwhile, suicide takes on average 2,191 lives….
Mosquitoes take the lives of over 2,740 people, and….
And HUMANS kill an average of 1,287 fellow people, every single day.
In response, this blog covers two key takeaways:
(1) The hard numbers to help you decide: Should I travel? Do I overstock my pantry? And is the world coming to an end? Let’s look at the data on how Coronavirus compares to typical influenza (the “flu”). (SPOILER ALERT: we’re seeing over 1000X more deaths from the regular flu, as of early March.)
(2) A brilliant blog on the realities of Coronavirus by Dr. Paul Sax, a Harvard Medical School classmate of mine (now Professor at our mutual alma mater), who serves as clinical director of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. His blog is brilliant. Read it. Share it.
Let’s dive in.
For the rest of the article – CLICK HERE and go to TECH BLOG . . .
What is hilarious is watching people literally “stampede” over this – your so called main stream media outlets put to complete shame ANYTHING Pravda or Tass put out on their best day . . .If you take the time to click through and read the actual numbers – you just might realize you are being feed a straight diet of bullshit – So . . . let me ask you this – while you are being distracted here with this lie – what is going on over there ???? Just like a magician – while you are busy watching “this” – “that” action or machination is taking place while you are being distracted . . .
Have Fun – Run the Gun! – and remember – Fish Heads are Cheap!